As you can see, the year is over and not all the pictures are up. This was me distancing myself from technology and falling behind. My plan is now to catch up. You're going to get a lovely random mixture of pictures.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 176

     Today was a good day. I heard a bang out in the kitchen, and being the only one home, wondered what in the world it could be. Aphelocoma californica. One of the hatching year Western Scrub Jays that's been hanging around in our front yard ran into our window.
     At first I was heartbroken as I guessed it was lying there dead. I've been watching these guys. There's three of them that like to hang out in the front yard, calling at each other with what almost sounds like a little boink. So to see this guy on my deck dead was terrible.
     I then noticed that his wing was slowly moving up an down as he breathed. Because he was in the direct, hot sun, I decided it would be best to move him in the shade, over by his siblings, in the trees that they frequented. His foot looked twisted and mangled, and upon worrying that he was broken, I examined him closely, feeling for any fractures. Thankfully, everything felt healthy. I wrapped him in a blanket, covering his eyes, and made the short trip. He heard his pals calling and peeped and wiggled for a second, but then calmed, relaxed in my hands.
     I put him down in the speckled shade of a tall pine. And he just sat there. Sat there looking at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment