As you can see, the year is over and not all the pictures are up. This was me distancing myself from technology and falling behind. My plan is now to catch up. You're going to get a lovely random mixture of pictures.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Day 149

     I feel like today was a turning point for my photography.


     I saw a beautiful deer and my dog, lying in a hole she dug, completely unaware, just feet away. It was really quite amusing. A few minutes later, I went outside to relax, as always, with my camera in tow. And I was surprised to discover that the deer had not moved far at all. As soon as my dog saw me, she noticed the deer as well. And that's when the deer got curious. It walked towards us for a while, and stopped short, watching us, staring into our eyes. Dog didn't bark, didn't move. Eventually the deer moved on and the dog paid more attention to me.
      The old me would have zoomed in and taken a picture of the deer. Everyone can take a picture of a deer. I decided to think a little about the story and instead headed out for a wider picture. I feel that this is a much better picture, a narrative that I wouldn't have gotten had I gone wildlife-style. Though it is not the best picture I've taken, the documentary-photography-longing inside of me says it's one of my very favorites.

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad you didn't just take a picture of the deer. You're right, this is much more interesting :D

    ReplyDelete